Ali Hval’s Shiny and Erotic Armatures
Ali Hval (she/her) (b. 1993, Sacramento, CA) is a visual artist currently living and working in Iowa City, Iowa. She is currently a Lecturer in Painting and Drawing at the University of Iowa. She earned her MFA from the University of Iowa in Painting and Drawing with honors, and BFA in Painting from the University of Alabama with honors. Her work merges ceramic, fabric, installation, and painting. The forms and materials she uses reflect her interest in adornment and the relentless critique and politicization of the body.
Ali Hval defied the society by turning her fears into her passion and creates erotic armatures by using performed femininity as a tool to reveal not only gender disparities, but also to illuminate the relentless critique and politicization of the female body. Instead of hiding or denying femme aesthetics and female sexuality, her pieces embrace, highlight, and empower them, while acknowledging all the awkwardness, humor, and theatricality they entail.
In conversation with the artist Ali Hval-
1. Ali, sensual forms, and playful materials are quite distinct themes of Art. What influenced you to start on it?
2. It was a delight to browse through such a colorful feed. What draws you to using such bright hues? What influences your color choices and the significance of pink in your work?
3. Ali, I love the depiction of Art in all your exhibitions. I am curious to know how welcoming the community is for such a distinct theme.
4. So you are a muralist, and a visual artist, each having its separate artistic practice. How do you maintain the balance and how do both of them inform each other?
The resulting pieces are flirtatious, attention-seeking, and deceptively superficial.
5. What advice would you give to artists who are trying to break into the world of public art?
Ali Hval started her creative journey by breaking barriers and fought the society by turning her fears into her strength. She has come a long way and recently did a solo show on the trending ‘Barbie’ theme. Explore our artists interviews for more inspirational stories.