About the Artist
PROFILE: French born artist , London based artist dedicated to paintings and photography
• 2001: BA Honors Painting Chelsea College of Art and Design
• 1983:Master in Economics– PARIS-DAUPHINE University
• 1982:Master’s Degree at “INSTITUT D’ETUDES POLITIQUES DE PARIS” SCIENCES PO
• 1979:French Baccalauréat with honors.
• French:Mother Tongue
• German: Conversational
Jan 2005 – Dec 2007: ART AND ETHICS LTD- LONDON
Founder and Member of Board of directors.
• Contemporary art advisory for private collectors and art investors. (Photography and paintings mainly)
• 2002/ 2003/ 2004 EXHIBITIONS AT THE ACAVA STUDIO IN FULHAM
• EXHIBITION IN SUNGARD OFFICES THE CITY JUNE 2004
• EXHIBITION IN Bormes les Mimosas MAISON DU CAP SUMMER 2005, Provence France
• Group exhibition in GOLF St nom la Breteche 2006
• Solo exhibition at the Bastide st Julien Provence summer2006
• Exhibition the holy arg feb 22
Noho studio Fitzrovia London in April
Sept 2022 at the Hari London Hotel Belgravia
Brigitte Schweitzer is a French born, London based artist whose work oscillates between abstraction, expressionism, gestural and metaphoric painting. She graduated from Chelsea College of Art (2001) with a BA in Fine Art in Painting.
In 2002, she exhibited in London in Acava Studio. She has had multiple shows in French private collectors houses and in London Sungard’s offices in 2004. Her work was bought in 2001 by the Andersen contemporary collection. For a long time she kept her work private and her inspirations came from her personal experiences, art history and the colours of the Mediterranean Sea. In 2020, she came back to London to continue her practice and where she is planning several exhibitions in London and in France.
Schweitzer is influenced by the big masters from Vermeer to Turner and the Impressionist of the 20s century painting. In Provence, she especially felt attraction to the abstract expressionism from Rothko to Jackson Pollock paintings, and to Gerhard Richter’s new vision of painting from photography. She also developed her own work around childhood Memory – her BA thesis subject matter. Her work is a constant inner search of meditation and spirituality. Zao wou-Ki is one of her pictorial references. Her paintings is about energy, vibration and harmony.
Other inspirations for the artist comes from nature, the sea and music. She paints listening to music and loves classical music especially Rimsky- Korsakoff but is also a great fan of Pink Floyds, Genesis, Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis, all original music pieces without boundaries to style.
In her process she always oscillates between control and spontaneous pouring painting, between abstraction and figurative references to nature.
Her technique mixes acrylic, oil paint in a very eclectic approach.
What are your “Treasured moments” & how do you connect it to your work?
My Treasured moment come from my childhood: all my little secrets and places I was hiding to feel the fragility and beauty of life .
The memories of this places always come back in my work . It creates my universe made of dreams. My paintings express the silence , the light and my inner energy . They are influenced by the colours of the south of France , the sea and the spicy smell of the “Garrigue”